Your roof is such an essential element of your home, so protecting and keeping it in good condition is a must.
While an average roof replacement cost will usually run you anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000, the money will be well spent because there’s a lot of time, effort, and skill that go into making a new roof last for decades.
This in-depth guide will show you a range of prices that you can expect to see, from installation rates to materials.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO REPLACE A ROOF?
According to the national average, the average homeowner will spend approximately $8,350 to install a new roof. The range that these homeowners paid for their roof installations was between $5,600 and $11,400.
Moreover, you can expect average roof replacement costs to fall between $3.50 and $5 per square foot, mainly depending on the kinds of materials used and the location. So, you can expect to spend 40% of your money on the materials and the remaining 60% on labor costs.
Here are a few elements that can change the costs:
A roof replacement project usually involves removing the shingles, repairing the underlying shingles where needed, and replacing the old shingles with new ones. The price of the project can fluctuate depending on the factors below:
- Supplies and products
- How it’s installed on your frame/deck
- Chimneys, plumbing, skylights, pipes, or other features
- Code requirements
Keep in mind that when you’re getting an average roof replacement cost estimate that they’ll give you a quote on a “per square” basis. Additionally, take note that for roof installations, a roofing square refers to 100 square feet.
ROOFING PRICE CONSIDERATIONS
The cost of roofing materials alone can cost you anywhere from $100 to $1,000 per square. It all depends on the kinds of materials that you choose. For an average roof of 17 squares, the cost of roofing materials can range from $2,500 to $25,000.
Now that you have the range of the cost of the materials, remember to factor this in which the fact that roof installs cost will usually cost you 40% in materials and 60% in labor.
HOW MUCH DOES LABOR COST PER SQUARE FOOT?
The labor cost for roof installations can range from $150 to $300 per square or $1.50 to $3 per square foot. The range in price depends on factors such as the products used for the installation and the structure’s condition. As previously mentioned, the labor and the overhead will typically make up 60% of your roofing project costs.
Remember that one roofing square is 100 square feet. The per square rate will contain all the following factors:
- The price of your shingles
- Waste removal
- Protective elements- If you happen to live in hot or cold climates
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST PER MATERIAL?
Each roofing material will have a different final cost based on the longevity of the product, accessibility, and installation difficulty. Asphalt shingles offer the lowest cost for a pretty decent lifespan, so that’s why so many homeowners opt for shingles. However, there are roofing materials that last even longer— they just come with a price tag to match.
All of these following numbers are based on an average 1,800 square foot home. If your home is larger or smaller, the prices will go up or down accordingly.
- Asphalt shingles: $4,200- $7,500
- Architectural shingles: $6,540- $12,700
- Wooden shakes: $10,000- $15,500
- Clay tiles: $15,400- $23,100
- Metal roofs: $25,000- $48,500
- Slate roofing: $38,000- $54,000
- Solar shingles: $60,000- $75,832
Keep these prices in mind when you start your roof replacement process. It can be easy to desire the aesthetics of metal roofs or slate, but many homeowners are deterred away by the price tag. However, if you plan on living in your home for a long time, a sturdier material can be worth the investment.
HOW MUCH TO TEAR OFF THE ROOF AND REPLACE IT?
Removing an old roof can cost from $1 to $5 per square foot. The price for the completion of the job averages $1,000 to $1,500. You’ll find that some contractors charge on an hourly basis, which can range from $1,000 to $10,000. It all depends on what kind of repairs or reinforcements are required.
Professionals will often factor the removal into the cost of the project alongside the replacement. The rate changes based on the:
- Complexity of the job
Whether you do it yourself or hire a contractor, the hardest part of the job is removing old shingles.
GET YOUR FREE ROOF ESTIMATE TODAY!
Although doing it yourself can save you a few bucks, professionals can complete the job both efficiently and safely.
Investing in your roof is worthwhile. Average roof replacement costs will vary, so it’s best to shop around for the best price and quality of services. Not only will the roof last for years to come, but it will serve to keep your home safe and protected against the natural elements.
Trust an experienced, professional roofing contractor to do your roof replacement— Red Canyon is here to help! Contact us today to get your free estimate!